Saturday, July 25, 2009

Last Saturday in The City

I started packing. It’s very sad. I started in the living room. I can’t believe I am leaving.

I was going to pack during the day but it was a crisp blue sky and I thought, why not pack later and enjoy a nice Saturday in the city. I had gone to the Yankee game last night and was nursing a slight hangover. I knew there was a street fair going on as I passed it on my way to staples to get packing supplies.

So I got dressed and hit the streets with my camera to enjoy my last weekend in the city. I started out at the street fair and bought a cute ring. Since the weekend before was very touristy I had seen just about all the street fair I needed to and got bored quickly as it was mostly filled with the same vendors from the weekend before.

I thought about going to time square but didn’t feel like walking that far west. I also hate the tourists there. Instead, I went to my favorite place in the city…Central Park.

I took pictures of various landscapes and then found myself at the Central Park Zoo. Since I had never been inside I figured I would pony up the $10 and see what the Zoo had to offer. It was quite small compared to the zoos in Florida but this is to be expected when land prices here are insane.

I hit the seals up first as I do enjoy them. The penguin exhibit smelled so bad and was packed so I left quickly. The polar bear station made very happy and I also realized that in my next life I might want to come back as one of them.

The monkey exhibit (one of my favorites) was awesome. A mom monkey had a little baby not that long ago and they were on a rock holding each other. When baby monkey acted up the mother would sit on it’s head until it calmed down. Then she would embrace baby monkey and touch its face. It was quite endearing.

After the zoo, I hit up FAO Schwartz. It’s another favorite place of mine. When I was younger and my grandmother was alive, she would take us here or Toys”R”Us and tell use we could have one thing, anything in the store. I of course took it upon myself to do the same as an adult. I hit up the candy area. They had a gummy bear display where you could pick individual flavors. I hit up the clear gummy bear as I believe it is the best.

I wrapped up my day there and headed home. I procrastinated for quite some time before starting the packing process and you could say by sitting here typing, I am once again putting it off. It just sucks. I love New York and the fact that I have 4 days left makes me sad.

No comments: