Today was fantastic; though the weatherman promised a nice clear day, it wound up a bit cloudy but it certainly didn’t rain on our parade. I left my apartment around 9:00am and picked up my zip car. I couldn’t wait to hit the open road. There is just something about driving that makes me happy. I’m lucky enough to be able to live in the city and afford a car at my disposal whenever I feel the urge to just drive.
Anyway, I got the car, packed it up with items I needed to return at Wal-mart and headed to Connecticut to visit with my cousins. When I got to Kitty’s, Dan was making fried egg sandwiches. They were delicious and a perfect way to start the day. Everyone sat at the kitchen table and ate, (it was sooo nice to have a family meal) and then Dan, Kit, Liam, Kealy and I were off to the high school to play some soccer. Shaun had something for school to do so he wasn’t in attendance the entire day. It bummed me out a bit but I know we’ll get a chance to hang now that I live so close.
While the kids and Dan messed around on the field, I played around with my camera. The pics can be viewed to the right. Once I put the camera down I was out on the field with the kids. We had a blast. I may or may not have lightly sprained my ankle while kicking the ball around but I didn’t let Kealy, the high school soccer star, score on me so I was doing something right.
After getting sweaty and disgusting, (which took effort because it was in the 50’s today) we dropped Dan off and met up with Maureen, Katie, and Jackie. We were off to the corn farm to pick pumpkins and part take in all that autumn encompasses up North. Being from South Florida, we don’t often have corn fields to run around in or pumpkin patches to get our pumpkins from, so this was a huge treat for me.
My inner child was completely unleashed as we winded through the corn maze. Kealy, Liam, and I made it our goal to scare the adults so we would run and hide in the stalks and jump out when we heard them coming close. After an hour of running through the maze we came to the end. Though it was the end of the maze, it was not the end of the excitement. We then proceeded to go on a hay ride. This was anti-climatic but fun none the less. It was made more fun by the fact that we had a camera to play with.
The pumpkins were a bit of a disappointment, so we went to lunch instead of buying any. Shaun was worried that he wasn’t going to get to be a part of the pumpkin picking (it’s a family tradition of theirs) so I am sure that had something to do with it. I thought it was pretty adorable that a 16 year old was worried he wasn’t going to get to pick pumpkins with his brother and sister. Of course, I was and still am the same way.
We enjoyed a nice lunch at a cute little college looking music/food place. On the ride home, Kealy asked me if I was going to come up for Halloween. The convo went something like this…
Kealy- “So are you going to get dressed up and go trick or treating with us this year?”
Me- “If I’m not in DC I most certainly will”
Liam – “It’s my birthday; you aren’t going to be here for that”
Me-“Actually I had thought about that and if you are going to do something for your birthday then I won’t go to DC”
(Liam was quite happy with my response as he was getting a bit jealous that Kealy and I were bonding)
Kealy-“So you are going to get dressed up and go trick or treating”
Me-“Yeah, why not, you are doing it”
Kealy-“I’m 14, you are 25!”
Me- “So”
Kealy-“You’re 25!”
Me-“It’s not like I’m going to go house to house by myself”
Kealy-“You’re 25!”
Kitty-“I get dressed up and go with you”
Me-“Kealy, I’m 25 going on 12 didn’t I prove that to you today”
Kealy-“More like 25 going on 9”
It was quite hilarious. Thinking about it now I am still laughing. “You’re 25!” Good lord. The convo finished by me saying yes, I’m an old lady. She informed me that I told her she wasn’t allowed to call me an old lady so I am not allowed to call myself one. They are too cute!
When we got back to the house Kealy was wired on soda. I had to leave because I was supposed to go to work today. In an effort to keep me there, Kealy was jumping my back and grabbing my leg begging me not to go. But, duty called so I headed out. I totally forgot I was wearing Kealy’s shoes. (Yes, my 14 year old cousin wears a size 10 just like the rest of the Kealy’s (my mom’s maiden name)/Igoe’s) I told her I would give them back. She came over and whispered in my ear “no, you keep them, that way I have a reason to visit you in the city” I of course quickly responded with “you never need a reason”. Yes, it was a fun filled family day.
I hit the road and headed to Wal-mart. I returned the file cabinet and made a quick pit stop in Old Navy. I love that store. I bought 10 tops for under $100 bucks. Gotta love the sales! Anyway, I was about 10 minutes from my apartment when I get a call from Socorro. She informs me that I don’t have to come in today. That information would have been helpful about an hour before. Grateful that I didn’t have to go to work I decided to go to IKEA in Brooklyn because there were still a few things I needed.
Around 5:30 I called Jamie (Barri’s sister) and asked her if she wanted to join me. She said sure and to pick her up around 6:30. I arrive on time and she has me waiting downstairs for 10 minutes. The thought crosses my mind: Typical Jamie.
The store closes at 10 and I had to have the car back by 11. I figured we would have ample time seeing as how we arrived at 7. I forgot who I invited to go with me. Jamie gets very distracted by shinny objects. I was running low on fuel (I had a light lunch) and was getting increasingly more and more agitated with J. I told her I would meet her at the registers. After 30 mins of waiting, I had her paged. There was no response to that so I back tracked and found her in the same spot that I left her 40 mins prior. I almost died. I literally dragged her out of the store and repeated as I have in the past “I am never going back to IKEA”
Apparently, as I always do, I must go back to IKEA because well the shelves I bought don’t fit the right way. AWESOME! More defective objects. I would say you know what I’m doing next weekend but since the 15th falls on the Wednesday of that week, I will most likely be working. In conclusion, though IKEA was a nightmare, I had a blast today and can’t wait to get back up to CT to hang with some of my most favorite cousins. I must run, tomorrow is going to be a long day, so I bid you ado until next time. Hope you all had a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment