Right now I am sitting outside on my balcony writing. I can hear the wild dogs in the distance barking as if they were silenced during the day. The temperature is a nice 75 degrees with little breeze and though the air is moist it is almost refreshing. Looking out I can see the lights from buildings but for the most part it is dark. There haze in the sky so the moon and stars are completely blocked from sight. I am almost use to the smell so it is no longer something that stands out when I walk outside.
I have to say, it is strange to be in a country where poverty and riches are right across the street from one another. It is also strange to be in a country where a war is going on and Americans seem to be the source of hate. Though there is heightened security at both the hotel and the office, I don’t feel safe. You never know who is against you and who is on your side.
The tone of the country is somber and you can feel that though Bangalore is far from Mumbai the people are affected. I wonder if those that live in tarp houses know what has happened in Mumbai. I am sure the only thing on there mind is where their next meal is coming from. I have to say, though our exposure is very limited, as again it is not safe to walk around the area, it is a life changing experience. I do hope I can come back during a safer time and really get to experience the culture and hopefully do something for those that have nothing (even if it is just buying them a pair of shoes).
This whole experience makes me very thankful for all that I have.
As I stated before, I am sitting outside and can hear all the sounds that are in the surrounding area and the dogs are getting very loud. It almost sounds like something bad is happening to them because the barking is becoming shrill. It breaks my heart (as you all know I am a huge dog lover). Now there is silence. Makes me wonder what just happened to those dogs.
What you have been told about cows being sacred is true. There are cows that just roam the streets. I feel strange staying in such a nice hotel when right outside there are people that haven’t eaten for days. Unfortunately now is not the time to be heroic and even if it was how do you go about doing that. Would you just show up with food and water? I wonder what the reaction would be. Would there be joy or would people resent the fact that you pity them?
I came on this trip for two reasons, one I wanted to go to India to see the Taj (which to my dismay will not be an option) and two to have a moving experience where I let the culture change me. I have been here for a day and luckily or unluckily, depending on how you want to look at it, I am getting the latter experience.
I should probably go to be though since it is 11:30 and my sleep schedule is all messed up. I know my last posted eluded to the fact that I would be writing tomorrow but I was having a moment and thought I would write down what I was experiencing at the present moment. Good night all.
3 comments:
Wow- I can totally tell that I will be glued to your blog for the remainder of your trip.
Stay safe!!!
I'm glad you like. Some will be posted a bit after as I didn't have access to internet and I don't have as much down time now that I am with Sally in Spain.
Post a Comment