Sunday, April 19, 2009

It's Been Awhile

It’s been awhile. Since my last post many things have happened and though I would love to continue on about how my trip went and ended, life happened in-between.

I have these moments where I look out and say “I can’t believe I did it. I can’t believe I moved to New York.” The past 3 and a half months I have worked non-stop so to me it just seems like nothing has changed. New people, new work, but no time to actually enjoy this new place that people say is my “home”.

This weekend was the first nice weekend in a really long time. In fact, it was the first time I wore shorts in roughly six months. This might not be any big shakes in Florida but it’s awesome for New York.

I leave for Vegas on Thursday. I am excited but it is just another reminder that Socorro’s is moving and since she is my best friend up here it kinda sucks.

I spent the afternoon in CT celebrating Easter with Ana’s family and friends. I know you might be thinking that Easter was last weekend but in the Greek Orthodox religion they celebrate it the week after. Overall, it was a nice weekend.

It’s funny because growing up in South Florida you don’t get a lot of exposure to various cultures, unless of course they are Spanish. In New York, I am having a hard time finding a US born friend. I am known as the “Token White Chick” because none of my close friends are from America. In fact, when we all sit down for dinner we joke that it is like a United Nations conference. I am embracing it and now in the process of trying to learn Tagalog, Ilonggo, Russian, Bulgarian, and French. I would be nice to learn a language that is more useful like Spanish but I really just don’t have any desire. Ask me how to speak Filipino though and I can ramble off a lot of useless verbiage.

I am still wondering if moving up here was the right thing for me. I think I was excepting something to happen when I moved. I am not sure what I was looking for but I can say I don’t think I found it. Now don’t get me wrong, I love New York, and actually the thought of moving back home doesn’t sound that appealing. Clearly I’m searching for something…Just don’t know what that something is. I don’t think I’m going to find by working 80 hours a week either.

My parents have been giving me crap because I am turning 26 this week. I think they fear if I don’t meet someone soon I will up alone. I think they are crazy and their incessant nagging about it doesn’t motivate me to want to get out there and start picking up men.

My girlfriends up here threw me an impromptu bday celebration on Friday. It was half surprise have not. Lets just say, I drank a few too many sangrias but still had a blast.

So I signed up for a sprint Triathlon. It’s in September. Let’s see how I well I stick to the training program. I am excited about it. It’s down in Virginia Beach which is awesome because I will get a chance to visit with Socorro (she is moving very close to that destination).

I believe I have proven to myself that I don’t do well with lots of time on my hands so I working as much as I do, doesn’t bother me like it would most. In fact, I have every weekend book until July. Pretty crazy seeing as how most people couldn’t tell you what they were doing next weekend and I have the next 2 months planned out; but ya know what they say: “those who fail to plan, plan to fail.”

Hope all is well with everyone reading. Maybe now that I have more time I can actually stay more current with my posts. We shall see…

1 comment:

Chris said...

Funny that I thought to check this today. Good post. I think you already found part of what you were looking for, a better sense of you. That quest dosent have anything to do with geography but you def had to move away to grow up. As far as the title of your blog goes... NEWSFLASH: You DID make it there and you always will anywere.

Thats how GOE's role.

Happy early Birthday !