Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Part Deuce

Welcome back trusty stalkers. :) So I left off last evening with our trip to NJ on the hunt to find an unopened, brand new, air conditioner. Sal and I jump back into Tennille, my car, and headed to NJ. I, of course, have enlisted the help of Rudolph as I am unfamiliar with the surrounding area. Before heading to Wal-mart, we decided we would go to Ikea to get furniture as the only thing in my apartment was a blow up mattress and a half put together table. Of course, the wonderfully incompetent people at OnStar informed me that there wasn’t an Ikea in Elizabeth (which is not correct and is only 30mins away) and that the closest one was in Paramous (about an hour away).

At this point, I am well on my way to find the Lincoln tunnel and inevitably I wind up back on the QueensBoro Bridge which is taking me in the complete opposite direction of where I want to be going. So we travel through Queens and then the Bronx to wind up at our final destination…Ikea. Sal had never been before and let me tell you I don’t think she’ll be going back any time soon.

The pieces I picked were not in stock and well the customer service was worse then going into a 7-11 and dealing with a cashier who doesn’t speak the English. After wasting an hour or two, we wind up at Wal-mart which was closing. We run in to find a sea of ineptness after which we sat in my car and literally took a time out to scream. I kid you not; we looked at each other in complete and utter frustration, and with no other outlet, belted out the loudest and longest scream possible. And then we went on our not so merry way back to the City.

Now, you may be asking yourself, why is this note worthy and what is with the screaming? I guess you have to experience it to fully understand the true frustration that one goes through when moving into NYC. But I digress.

We are back at the ol’ dirty apartment, oh and I forgot to mention…My bathroom was suppose to be renovated before I moved in, so you can imagine my surprise when I found a hole still in the wall and rust stains from the leaky pipe above running down from the ceiling. Thank God we stocked up on cleaning supplies at the first Wal-mart stop. So we put on our big, yellow, rubber gloves and began what I can only describe as the nastiest clean up session you could ever imagine. At one point Sally turned to me and said “Danielle there is only so much I can do, I am not touching that”. This was in reference to some nasty filth that was behind the toilet.

Now don’t get me wrong, it was stressful and exasperating at points but of course Sal and I don’t do much without laughing. So there were many quote like “Fuck this, ha ha ha, OMG, that is disgusting (bursting out laughing)” and I believe you catch my drift.

How did we end the night you might be wondering; well, we made margaritas and sat on the two chairs we built and drank up. I have to say, despite the set backs, the filth, and the longing to have nothing but a warm bed to sleep in, I wouldn’t take any of it back. The next morning Sal was off to the airport and I was on my way back to Ikea. This time to the one in Brooklyn but that is another story for another day. Good night all.

1 comment:

April said...

I'm addicted, keep up the story telling. and POST MORE PICTURES!!!