So as the wise women before me, I too have created a blog. I figure this is a much easier way to stay updated on what I'm doing in the Big Apple. I could probably do this on facebook or myspace but I would rather think less people have access to this (wishful thinking I'm sure). Plus this public display of narcissism will allow me to stay current with my journaling as if Facebook and Myspace weren’t enough to feed my ego.
Anyway, I have been quite the busy bee since I got up here. It took Sal and I two days of driving and we both made it in one piece. Of course there were quite a few good laughs along the way. Let’s take it back to Aug. 12, 12:30 a.m. We arrive in New York City after a night stay in Savannah, a pit stop in South of the Border, and lets not forget the speeding ticket Sally and I laughed all the way through. I was using Rudolph (my navigation system) to arrive at my final destination (the apartment). We had spent 15 hours driving and all we wanted to do was unloaded the car and sleep. Now you would think, with the help of turn by turn directions, one could arrive at their final destination with no problem. Needless to say, I wound up on the QueensBoro Bridge which was not amusing at that time of the evening. We literally drove pasted my apartment on a bridge.
Despite the set back we laughed all way the over as I am notorious for getting lost with Sally Woo. Skip to the next day. We leave my cousins apartment in Jersey City and head to the store to buy an air conditioner. Note, there are no Wal-Mart’s in New York City. We pretty much spend the better portion of the day shopping. I’ll come back to the air conditioner but first let me digress.
Sally and I are in Target and of course we needed to use the facilities. I leave Sal to do her business and a few minutes later I get a phone call from her. This wasn’t so strange as I figured she wanted to know where I was in the store. But no, she wanted me to buy her a pair of shorts, which I found quite hilarious. Apparently her pantalones were wet because the toilet basically exploded while she was on it. I am of course crying laughing at this point as I purchase a pair of pants and rush them into Sal Gal so she can change.
Now back to the air conditioner. We get back to the city in the afternoon. We are putting the place together and I am working on the air conditioner situation. Sal is busy putting together a table and I am dumb founded at the fact that this air conditioning unit has no directions. (For those of you who don’t know, NYC is very hot in the summer, so you can only imagine how hot an apartment is with no air). I get the unit in the window and come to realize that it doesn’t fit. It is about half the size of the window. I look outside and see other people’s windows with units that have an accordion looking apparatus between the windows so the unit fits the size of it. At this moment, the super, who is not so super, knocks on the door to introduce himself and ask if we need any help.
I say, why yes, and ask him where I can purchase the accordion thing, while I’m pointing at the air conditioner (direct quote). He tells me it comes with the unit. I almost flipped. As he is leaving, he asks if we need any further assistance. We promptly tell him no. Well, he looks at the table Sally is fast at work with and says: “I don’t mean to step on your toes but the legs should be on the outside of the table”. We started cracking up. (It should be noted that up until this weekend, it seemed that God was playing a joke on me and almost ever scenario had a similar ending) Needless to say, we wound up going back to NJ to return the air conditioner. At this point, we had both had it. We were going on no sleep, barely any food, and had previously been in a car for 2 days. You can imagine what peaches we were to be with.
I hate to leave you all in suspense as I know this story is a true nail bitter but I must retire to bed. Hopefully, I’ll be back manana with part deuce of the move saga.
2 comments:
loving the blog! you should put up pictures stat. and you should have a favorite links list. with me on it :-)
don't forget screaming in the car followed by our margarita and bleach cocktails. loved the premiere blog: great storytelling.
ciao!
love you.
Post a Comment